Permits & Licenses
See the tabs below for information on commonly used permits and licenses:
Karen Campanelli, Registrar
406 Rivervale Road, River Vale, New Jersey
Requirements for entering into a marriage:
The following criteria must be met before two people can enter a marriage:
- Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this state or recognized by this state;
- Be at least 18 years of age.
Where to Apply:
- Apply for the marriage license in the New Jersey municipality where either party resides. The license is valid throughout New Jersey.
- If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage ceremony will be performed. In this case, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
Required documents when applying for a marriage license:
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport, or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of residency by one applicant if a New Jersey resident
- (1) witness, 18 years of age or older
- $28 application fee
Application/Appointments: Marriage License Application
Marriage license applications are by appointment only and MUST be made in advance. Please contact the Registrar, Karen Campanelli at 201.664-2345 x1005 to set-up appointment. Marriage licenses are issued at Town Hall, 406 Rivervale Road, River Vale.
After you apply:
- There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar.
- The marriage/civil union license application is valid for six months from the date accepted unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.
- Once issued, the license is valid 30 days from the date of issuance.
- Certified copies can only be obtained from the municipality where the event occurred OR the state office via in person, online, or mail in request.
Request a Certified Copy: Request for Certified Copy
To Request a Certified Copy of a Marriage License or Civil Union please submit the request form with the following required documents:
- Copy of proof of identity (driver’s license, passport, or state/federal I.D.)
- Fee: $10.00 per copy
Dog & Cat License
NEW! Pet license services can now be accessed online, including applying for new licenses and renewing existing ones.
When to License Your Pet
A dog or cat which has reached the age of 7 months or possess a set of permanent teeth, must be licensed.
- Raffle License Application & Instructions
- Raffle Application (Blank)
- Raffle Affidavit
- Sample Ticket (Cash)
- Sample Ticket (Merchandise)
- Statement of Raffle Equipment Supplier Lessor (LGCCC Form 13)
- Raffle Report of Operations